What exactly is ‘remote work’ by In Marketing We Trust’s standards? Let’s talk remote work principles at In Marketing We Trust.
Why is In Marketing We Trust a remote/hybrid agency?
Since In Marketing We Trust’s inception in 2013, we’ve had a preference for sourcing top talent across APAC, as opposed to sourcing based on geographical location. This strategy has enabled us to evolve into the highly specialised and multicultural team we are today.
The agency has now been remote and hybrid for over 10 years and will not alter this strategy for the foreseeable future.
“Remote work” versus “digital nomadism”
In Marketing We Trust is a remote working agency, not to be confused with being an agency comprised of “Digital Nomads”.
Remote work and digital nomadism are both forms of working outside of a traditional office setting, but they differ in several key ways:
- Remote Work: Remote work is a flexible work arrangement where employees or freelancers work from a location other than the company’s office, often from their home or a co-working space. They maintain a more consistent and stable work environment. Remote workers are typically employees or contractors with a fixed schedule and income or typical business relationship with a specific organisation.
- Digital Nomads: Digital nomads are individuals who have embraced a location-independent lifestyle. They work remotely as well but often change their location frequently, travelling from one place to another while working from various destinations. They are often entrepreneurs or contractors who have more of a variable business relationship and therefore have control over their work and clients.
- Remote Work: Remote workers typically work from home, at a co-working space or in a quiet alternate office environment, but generally stay in one place for an extended period. They are not constantly on the move.
- Digital Nomads: Digital nomads are constantly on the move, often changing their location every few weeks or months. They may work from different cities or countries and have a more transient lifestyle.
Motivation and Goals
- Remote Work: Remote workers often choose remote work for the convenience, work-life balance, and reduced commute. Their primary motivation is not tied to travel or exploration.
- Digital Nomads: Digital nomads are motivated by a desire for adventure, exploration, and a unique lifestyle. Their primary goal is to experience the world while sustaining their work. By this definition, it is implied that work is a secondary priority.
What are the expectations while working remotely?
It is important to note that our agency is a highly professional organisation which services a portfolio of large clients who each have unique expectations from representatives of our business. As such, there are firm behavioural, environmental and logistical guidelines that are expected to be followed by all team members at In Marketing We Trust.
- Site: Have a primary fixed “site” (i.e location/state) where they conduct their work from. When requesting changes in international site (e.g. moving from Sydney, Australia to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) for a short or extended period, formal approval is required.
- Working Schedule: Have a typical working schedule that others can expect you to be online (e.g. you are reliably online from 10am – 6pm most days) and notify others of any periods spent out of “office” during a working day (between the hours of 8am – 6pm AEST / AEDT) that exceeds 2 + hours.
- Managers and leadership are expected to have as much an overlap as possible with AEST / AEDT (e.g. 7-8+ hours per day), regardless of timezone, whereas
- Team members are expected to have a minimum overlap with AEST / AEDT of 4+ hours per day.
These protocols ensure that we provide timely communication with both our clients and our colleagues.
In summary, while both remote work and digital nomadism involve working outside of a traditional office, remote work is generally more stable and work-focused, while digital nomadism is characterised by constant travel and a desire to prioritise adventure.
In Marketing We Trust seeks to hire professionals who identify with the Remote Worker archetype to ensure the best possible results for our clients.